Rathjen Family

Rathjen Family
Rathjen, Party of EIGHT

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Swinging Into Our New Normal

Life is so busy! We are trying to find our new normal around here. Typing with two chunky monkeys on my lap is proving difficult, but I am dying to get some photos uploaded since we have been home!

We have had Trigg and Ivor for over three weeks! It feels like we have known them forever. They are adjusting really well. Last night, they BOTH slept through the night. It is tricky knowing when to scoop them up and cuddlet them so they know they are safe, and when to let them fuss a bit, rubbing their back so they will get more rest. We see so many signs of their comfort level rising. It has been so fun witnessing many firsts.

~first time they felt grass on their fat little feet
~first time to drink a cold liquid
~first time to see animals
~first picnic
~first time on a horse
~first walk on a river trail
~first time tucked unto bed by their own mommy

and many more...

Now, I won't tell you it has been all easy-peasy. There have been some tough times. The nights were really hard in the first week. Our insurance has been the pits to deal with. There's a heck of a lot more laundry and this mommy wishes she had a couple more set of hands. Thank the Lord for my mom, who has been a faithful helper and the many amazing people who have showed up with food.

It has been an adjustment adding two more, especially for Rance. We are learning how to nurture these two small people while continuing to make sure all of our other children know how important they are. For now, there is absolutely no time to just "do nothing." If the babies are sleeping, I try my hardest to focus on Rance and Zoe. When they are all in bed, I make sure to check in with Tyler, trying to keep up with our usual talks. Tyler has one day left as a junior. I am not ready for him to be off on his own, so I cherish each moment I have with him while he is still under my roof.

Zoe had a play shortly after we returned home. As it turned out, the play time had changed while we were in China, and we didn't know. We showed up just as it was getting over. Thankfully, we got her there early (I assumed for a last rehersal) and she did a great job. Our friend taped it, and we hope to get that soon, but we still had some heavy dissapointment to deal with.

Rance learned how to ride his bike with no training wheels in under an hour. We loaded up and headed to town to put his new skills to use. Trigg and Ivor loved cruising along behing him in the stroller.

Softball is started for Tyler and we will attended the first game last night. The twins do great out and about, as long as no one tries to hold them, but we have kept our outings to a minimum. Carseats are a new thing too and they are getting better about those as well. They love, love, love, to be outside, so they are fitting in quite nicely around here!

More pics soon...for some reason, they are not uploading consistantly!




  1. I LOVE reading your blog!! You have a beautiful family and it has been so fun following your journey!

  2. Thanks so much Nisa. You are so sweet. I can't wait to see your little girl in your arms. The wait is hard. Trust in Gods timing. Hugs.

  3. Misty, your little boys are sooooo cute (and you have a beautiful family)! I haven't checked in with you in so long :(. I'm just happy we are home with our little boys after waiting and waiting and waiting :).

    So happy for you!